GIC as FP

Today’s patient was booked for me since the last visit I saw her two weeks ago for staining removal. The plan was to apply four fissure protections on all 8s as they are partially erupted. on examination, 18 required caries removal using the only slow speed, then applying the GIC FP. My supervisor asked me to refer the patient for an OPG review to review all 8s. we had to change the treatment plan and the patient was informed and consent was obtained.

It was a very challenging treatment as I decided to place GIC FP on 28, 38, 48 using cotton roll isolation for the first time on a real patient. I was very keen to complete the treatment and gain the new experience I was looking for since starting my clinical journey. I managed to finish the treatment following the recommended steps required to place GIC FP. Prior to commence the treatment, my supervisor asked many questions to ensure my understanding of GIC FP. Luckily, I managed to respond to most of the questions correctly. It reminded me of what I have been taught and informed in pre-clinic. I am looking forward to reviewing all the feedback I received in pre-clinic in BOH1 as this will increase my knowledge and enhance my confidence levels when communicating with demonstrators.

By the end of treatment, the patient was informed by POIG. Most importantly was that I had the chance to give some oral health instructions making sure that the patient is on the right track in terms of oral hygiene (esp for all 8s PE). It was a good session to learn and gain the skills and feedback required for similar treatments may I face in the future.

I am looking forward to seeing this patient again in few weeks and restore the 18.

2 thoughts on “GIC as FP

1. Using the garmer clamps for the first time was definitely challenging but I’m glad we both got to learn from it!! You did amazingly with the GIC using the thumb press technique :))

2. I was lucky I had you assisting me on that day, big thanks! I thought the task maybe simple as the one we do in pre-clinic but on patient with (tongue, saliva, resistance, breath, gaging) is different story 😂