First perio treatment

On 7-05-2021, I started treating a patient with periodontal disease. The patient was diagnosed with stage III grade B after conducting COE on her a few weeks ago. I have been revising over my notes from last year in order to refresh my memory with the skills I gained in preclinic of using hand scalers. The most beneficial part of this treatment was that I had a chance to look back at my notes (padlets) and remember the difference between the site-specific and universal curettes. This is was my responsibility for the last two weeks in order to achieve and deliver effective treatment to the patient. I completed a quadrant 3 debridement using EMS and hand scalers. The reason I started with quadrant 3 was that the patient had the most significant clinical attachment loss around the mandibular teeth. In particular concern, the mandibular anterior teeth have degree 3 mobility and significant gingival recession.  Also, the patient required a local anesthetic because she reported pain on probing.

I managed to complete IAN block and buccal infiltration on the patient with minimal risks following the recommended steps. I managed to remove both sub-gingival and supragingival calculus. post-operative instructions were also considered including rinsing with warm water and salt to help with gingival healing. The patient was recommended to brush with Sensodyne toothpaste because her teeth may become sensitive after the procedure. In particular concern, oral health education was considered to ensure that the patient will keep flossing and brushing twice a day because appropriate oral hygiene help with periodontal treatment. By the end of my today’s treatment, my supervisor has reviewed the patient’s OPG and asked me to take a PA radiograph of 31 and 41. On OPG, there was a significant radiolucency periapical area around those teeth. I had the chance to take PA radiograph for the patient and make a decision on that radiolucency. The PA revealed no presence of periapical infection or abscess and the patient was notified by the results.

I am looking forward to seeing my patient again in two weeks for completing another quadrant debridement. My goal for this patient is to do my best to get her gum back to health. However, the patient was recommended to keep good oral hygiene in order to complete this treatment successfully with great results.

2 thoughts on “First perio treatment

1. Thanks for the post Feras – I love that you will be able to follow this patient up soon and check in on the progress of your work and whether they have followed your instructions.

2. Sounds like the pt management in this appointment (S/C+ LA) was really good so well done! Will be interesting to see the PD when reviewing the pt during SPT!