Finding Your Professional Voice

I was reminded yesterday that I created this whole-of-course program that sits within the OHP subjects, but draws on all learning, to allow students to tell the story of their learning across the whole course. At the centre of the program is reflective practice. I have just signed off my first BOH 2 Sonia forms for the year and I was overjoyed to see that the effort we have put in to help you understand self-reflection and the importance of using each session to grow and learn is paying off. Then I came in here and saw that the BOH 2 students have also started blogging and I am filled with joy, whole body chills.

This is a big step towards becoming a professional practitioner. Last year (in BOH 1) we focused on using Flipgrid and we will keep that going of course – that allows us to HEAR your voice, to listen to you in a very short period of time describe something. But in second and third year we focus more on written reflections. You need to keep this going throughout your careers and I hope this blogging platform will allow you to start doing that.

Get artistic, make the blogs look the way you want them to. Advertise or publicise them to family and friends and start to create a digital professional profile.

We will be moving to an ePortfolio program soon… the Uni has finally signed up. We will be able to consolidate all of these artefacts in one place and it will be a wonderful opportunity for you to map your own learning. I can’t wait.

So keep it all up. Keep reflecting, keep blogging and keep asking for help. Just because you start in the clinic doesn’t mean the theoretical stuff stops. There are lessons in every appointment that require follow up. And you share this space with all of the BOH 3 students. Together we are a community of learners, no-one is doing this on their own.

2 thoughts on “Finding Your Professional Voice

1. Hi Clare,

I recently read your post on what gives life meaning and i think that this is a great way to create a welcoming online space where our community can share their experiences and opinions.
    I also agree that keeping perspective is crucial – it is not the be all and end all. We must take care of ourselves and those around us.
    This helped me check myself tonight as i work away instead of getting a good night’s rest for a full day of pre-clinic tomorrow.

Thank you and I hope you know how much our cohort appreciates all of your efforts and dedication as an educator.
    Have a good night! 🙂

2. Thank you Jo! You know I love it!!! This is one of my favourite things to do – I am sure it is the way of the future in terms of assessment and education. I get so much more out of these than any exam you write.