All about communication

A 14-year-old patient presented to me on 06/08/21 with his mother. The main reason for this visit was related to ortho treatment based on what the mother mentioned. It was a new patient with blank histories and a dental chart. This session was quite important and helpful in terms of facing new things to do and getting to develop my communication skills with both young patient and their parent.

I had the opportunity to go through the digital medical history we do online with the patient

I had the opportunity to discuss ortho issues and how to make referrals if possible

I had the opportunity to explain and communicate with the visitors about the outcomes of the clinical visit.

The patient’s oral care was good with no presence of any hard and soft tissue diseases. I explained to the mother that her child is classified with class II div 1 malocclusion in a way that they can understand. I advised the patient and his mother that this is not severe and they will not fit the criteria to be referred to the orthodontic department. The mother asked me for advice on where to go and how to get these teeth fixed. I simply recommended a private practice and mentioned that the orthodontist usually will decide the right treatment, whereas here we only identify the problem. It was a good session to get involved with both the patient and the parent and recommend the use of floss and keeping good oral hygiene because, with ortho appliances, teeth are susceptible to get dental caries and other soft tissue diseases. I was able to manage this appointment in less than an hour and ensure everything needed was delivered to the patient. The patient left and was happy with the recommendation.

2 thoughts on “All about communication

1. Sounds like you were able to effectively communicate to both patient and parent. I think this can be really challenging as these conversations generally don’t look the same for both people. Awesome job!