WORKBOOK section 2/case 4 (is it DHS?)

After reading case 4 in section 2 in the covid activity workbook, I started to squeeze my brain and try to remember every single factor that may contribute to the patient’s presenting complaint. lest’s discuss the situation of this patient>>>>>> presenting complaint was shooting pain in the teeth during the morning run and when drinking cold water. Also, the patient was concerned about her receded gum. So all we have of details for this patient is cold water (stimuli) causing the pain, gum recession, and good oral hygiene, regular attendee, and caries absence. I was asked to give a presumptive diagnosis based on the information I have.

The only presumptive diagnosis I finally came up with was dentine hypersensitivity. Why?DHS: dentine hypersensitivity is associated with dentine exposure. However, dentine exposure can be caused by physical, chemical, pathological, and biological challenges. One of the most aetiological factors for DHS is gingival recession alongside excessive oral hygiene behaviours and toothbrush abrasion (these exist with this patient (flag)). This patient is highly likely to be diagnosed with DHS since the DHS is characterized with transient sharp pain following various stimuli and it is short and disappears after the removal of the external stimulus, which is in this case “the cold drinks”. To rule out the definitive diagnosis for DHS, the patient must have none of the following;

caries, reversible pulpitis, cracked tooth syndrome, defective restorations (so location of sensitivity is important), dental trauma, marginal leakage, occlusal trauma. Finally, I may be wrong but I think the treatment option for this patient can be determined by taking a detailed clinical assessment.