AMALGAM!

Oh how I wish that amalgam was a more widely accepted by patients in the real world! The one session we had in preclinic working with amalgam was most definitely my favourite session. I found the prep much easier to cut and perfect as well as manipulating the material when carving. However,  I had NO idea how much force was required when condensing the material into the cavity prep! The muscles in my hand definitely paid the price! I hope whether it be whilst still at uni or in the real word practicing, that I get more opportunities to continue working with amalgam. I tried so many times during the preclinc session to cut as many preps as I could and to receive as much feedback possible on them. I tried to work as quickly as I could to gain as much experience condensing the material and carving it as I know that may possibly have been our only session to practice. I hope in the future if we have “free-sessions” that I get the opportunity to continue building my skills in amalgam restorations.