Is interdisciplinary practice the key to optimal health?

The  World Health Organization defines health as  “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease and infirmity. Last week I had an interview with a physiotherapist to discuss how we can better help them assist their patient’s oral health. This was part of our assignment for health education, it really made me see the oral health is a team sport and can include all different branches of healthcare. When talking to the physiotherapist she was telling us about TMJ issues and other facial pain problems that can impact the oral health of patients, however, she also told us that most physiotherapists do not really know what to do to help these patients or where to refer them. She also stated that she wouldn’t know how to see the signs of poor oral health. This really highlighted the importance of oral health promotion in other sectors of health care so that patients can have optimal health. So I think yes interdisciplinary care is the best care for patients.