FIRST INFILTRATION!

One of the few patients I had seen in the DTC required LA for a debridement of 48 as he was extremely sensitive as well as quite nervous. I was also very nervous as it was my first LA I would have given to a patient. I don’t think he would have felt all too much at ease knowing it was my first infiltration so I tried my best to make him feel as thought I had done this 100 times already. this was one of the very few times I was grateful for masks so it could conceal my nervousness. I tried to smile and get him talking about literally almost anything else non-teeth related before I began. I asked my demonstrator for both procedural AND moral support as this was my first time giving LA. After what felt like an eternity for me, I pulled out the syringe and offered him a rinse out. Not too long after this, he was beginning to go numb, my goodness, the relief I felt knowing it worked! He told me that he actually thought it would have been worse, so this was an even bigger relief for me. Whether I will get to see this patient again, I’m unsure as I sent him off on his way to a specialty clinic within the hospital. I don’t know for sure whether he will remember me, but it’s safe to say I’ll always remember him as my first LA patient. Definitely couldn’t have asked for a better first experience both patient and demo wise. This has sparked some kind of curiosity into being a demo for a day or two after I graduate. It’s amazing how much of a difference having such a supportive demo can make, especially when trying things for the first time!

2 thoughts on “FIRST INFILTRATION!

1. I’ve seen you in action Natasha and you are an absolute gun! I was your DA for this patient and I was so surprised when you said it was your first time doing LA because you seemed so natural. Keep up the good work!!